The Power of "Thoughts and Prayers."

Yesterday morning, I woke up to the same news as most of you- hearing about the horrific mass shooting in Las Vegas.  As the news kept pouring in, so did people's opinions of it on social media.  I scrolled through seeing a lot of similar statuses and postings.  A couple, however caught my attention and have stuck with me.  I saw two different statuses on Facebook and a couple on Instagram putting down the use of people saying their "thoughts and prayers" were with Las Vegas.  

These people were presumably well intentioned- calling for more action than that and I understand- I sincerely do.  They must certainly be as frustrated and disheartened with the bad news that keeps coming and the lack of empathy and compassion we have in our leadership right now as I am.  They were certainly not coming from a bad place and, I'm hoping, not wanting to make anyone feel worse.

However, I was disappointed to see people use their social media platforms to put down or degrade ANY way people cope with a tragedy and as I scrolled through the comments on those posts there were lots of 'Amens,' (which I found a very interesting response), and many harsh insults talking about how "thoughts and prayers" were useless, a waste of time, and made no difference.  

Is that REALLY what we need right now? More insulting? More harsh judgments?  More division?  

Whether you are a praying person or not, it's important to note that pray is a verb.  AN ACTION.  It's also important you know that I am a do-er.

Is praying the only thing we as global citizens should be doing to make a positive impact on our world?! Certainly not.  But is it something? Oh yes in deed. YES.IN.DEED. 

When I've been pregnant, I've done all kinds of things, action things, to take care of myself.  I don't drink, I don't smoke, I eat the right foods, listen to my body, and read an immense amount of literature and research on how to grow nice healthy big babies....

I also prayed, every single night, over my belly.  Thanking God for the opportunity to carry this unborn child.  Trying to give all my worries and fears over to God.  Letting Him know how grateful I was and promising to be loving parent who would reflect His love.  

Each of these are actions.  Each of these are important.

In raising my children, I am doing all kinds of things, action things, to support them in becoming compassionate, kind, intelligent, contributing global citizens of our world.  I read with them, talk nicely to them, help them label feelings, condemn all acts of violence, insults, or rough housing, expose them to art, music, and support them in helping others.

I also pray over them, every single night.  Thanking God for their presence in our family, their importance on this Earth.  I ask Him to help my children know Him, talk to Him, love Him, follow Him.  I also pray for all the future people who will become their friends and loved ones- that each of them cherish my sons and bring out the best in them.  

Each of these are actions.  Each of these are important.  

Josh's cousin is fighting cancer.  He's been doing all sorts of things to rid his body of this-treatments, seen all kinds of doctors, and has been taking care of himself as his body fights and heals.

In addition, in just a few hours, Josh's extended family will gather together at his grandma's house to pray the rosary, together, in honor of his cousin and his fight.  I am honored to know these people and grateful to be a part of a family who knows that praying is doing something.

Again, each of these things are actions.  Each of these things are important.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When you look at recent events-

Should I praying AND giving blood to the Red Cross helping victims recovering in the hospitals in Nevada? Absolutely!

Should I be praying AND having difficult conversations with people who may not agree with me on the need in our country for tighter gun control? Certainly!

Should I be praying AND writing my senators BEGGING them to focus their time, talent, and money on mental health issues? Without a doubt!

Should I be praying AND donating to charities I support?  You betcha!

But I will never EVER doubt the power of prayer and what a powerful action that actually is.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny