8 Weeks In: What is life like with four kids?!

Bringing Preston home from the hospital was exciting and so scary!  What in the WORLD was it going to be like to have four kids, four boys, all five and under, at home together all summer long?!

I wasn't sure what the dynamic was going to be between each child and Preston and how my relationships with my boys were going to shift and change now that I was going to have a new baby attached to me.  

Thankfully, Josh took off a couple of weeks so that we could adjust, initially, as a full family of six.  Having both parents around allowed for sneaking in cat naps here and there, being able to spend one-on-one time with each boy or pairing off into some smaller groups, and it helped people get the attention that they needed and deserved.  

As Josh eased back into work I will admit I was terrified- Preston was eating around the clock, and the three bigger boys were in preschool and sports.  How would I ever manage?  

Just like with any new experience, you figure it out and so did we.  

For the most part, things have been really smooth, surprisingly smooth honestly. We've continued about our daily life with the addition of a very cute and very flexible little guy who we all love doting over.  

Mealtimes and bedtimes, especially, have proven to be a bit tricky as all four boys need a lot during those times.  I'm certain if someone video-taped me on any given day at lunchtime, for example, you would get quite a show.  You'd see me, essentially darting from place to place doing circles around my house at lightning speed.  

Here is a real life scenario at lunch the other day- someone wanted a second helping of something, while at the same time someone else had spilled their milk, while at the same time someone was on the toilet needing to be wiped, while at the same time Preston was nursing, while at the same time Prim, our cat, was meowing because she wanted her lunch too, of course.  How do I meet these needs and wants simultaneously?  Like how?  Seriously.
I have gotten a bit overwhelmed in these moments, (I'd love to know someone who wouldn't- please teach me your ways) and that's when the darting begins- back and forth putting out these little fires, one at a time, until everyone is satisfied again.  Then I sigh, wipe the sweat off my forehead (or the tears from my eyes) and I feel like the biggest superwoman that's ever existed.  These moments, as I'm certain you can tell, have a manic quality about them- very low lows and very high highs.   

The other thing I've noticed, as we've adjusted to a family of six, is how each of my older sons has taken on his own special and unique little part of helping out with Baby Preston...

Nolan- He is my numbers guy.  When I am sleep deprived, I am a complete moron when it comes to numbers so Nolan has really stepped up to fill in my inadequacies there.  He stays right up on how long it's been since Preston has ate, how long his naps are, how many minutes he nursed on each side, etc.  He is constantly talking to me about this data and can do all the math.  This has helped Preston stay full and rested and given me one less thing to occupy my VERY FULL brain.  Nolan also loves to help me burp Preston and gets very proud if one of his pats yields a burp.       

Judah- He is the fetcher for anything Preston might need.  If we are out of diapers on the main floor, Judah is sprinting up stairs to grab more.  If Preston spits up, Judah rushes to his aid burp cloth in hand.  If I need my Boppie to feed Preston, I'll blink and Judah will have it in front of me ready to go.  He has made sure Preston never goes without what he needs.  He calls Preston HIS baby and is usually the first one to ask to hold him too.  

Carter- Even though this guy has had the hardest time adjusting to Preston (he loved being the baby in the family), he has never ever taken that out on his new baby brother.  Carter has needed the most extra attention and, as such, has given Josh and I a run for our money. He decided not to nap when Preston first came home and was just incorrigible in the evening.  He was also doing some serious acting out like walking right out the front door or throwing some next-level tantrums. But thankfully, Carter has given Preston nothing but unconditional love.  

Since Preston cannot talk, Cater has taken on the job of being Preston's mouth or blow horn to be precise.  If Preston cries, I can count on Carter yelling "THE BABY IS CRYING!" within five seconds.  If Preston smiles, there is Carter: "PRESTON IS SMILING AT ME!"  If Preston gets up from sleeping, Carter is screaming, "THE BABY IS AWAKE!"  When I'm changing Preston's diaper, Carter is right there: "PRESTON POOPED!"  Besides being Preston's mouth piece, Carter also needs to be as close to the new baby as physically possible.  It's very cute and sweet, but he can definitely get a bit too close sometimes ;). He always wants to see the baby, kiss the baby, touch the baby, hug the baby.  

Although not every moment has been easy these last eight weeks, I am overjoyed with the way we have adjusted to a family of six.  If you can get past the complete chaos that happens a few times a day, you will see three big brothers who have loved and accepted their new sibling instantly.  Nolan, Judah, and Carter would do anything for Preston to make sure he is happy, healthy, safe, and loved.  You will also see a baby who sleeps through an extreme amount of noise and movement, who accepts people being in his personal space constantly, and is flexible and pretty darn patient to accommodate three siblings who have needs too. I really can't ask for more than that from any of them.  Preston is really lucky to have his big brothers and they are equally really lucky to have him.  
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny