Preston Huron: Months 5 and 6

Preston continues to add a lot of joy and sunshine into our lives.  He is, in general, a happy, laid-back baby who LOVES to move and learn.

Even though Preston has a super chill personality, I am noticing that he, like his brothers, does not want to be still... ever.  These past couple of months, we've watched him be so bound and determined to figure out how to move himself around.  He is an expert roller now and although he can sit for short periods of time, he has no interest in practicing such a skill when he can work on how to crawl instead.  He has not mastered how to officially crawl during his fifth and sixth month, but can get on his knees, wobble back and forth, and face plant in a forward direction.  He repeats this and is able to move from one place to another.  None of my other children have done this, but it sure works for him.  It will be any minute now.  When we try to sit him on our lap, he wants to fling himself around.  When we lay him on the floor, he is on the other side of the room in a mere moment.  When holding him, he wants to bounce and bounce and bounce.  I think it's safe to say, I will be raising four very active boys. 
I see you! 
Preston becomes more interactive every day it seems.  It's crazy how suddenly he can just reach for toys from you and rattle things and pull things.  He pays much more attention to books, hitting the pages with his hands, laughing, and smiling as you read along.  Because Carter is home with Preston the most, he is SUPER into reading Preston books snd Preston loves to listen.  He is extremely focused on his brothers and will stop doing anything (including eating) to listen to their conversations and move his head and eyes in their direction.  No one can make him as happy as his brothers do.  


Speaking of food, Preston started eating solid foods before any of his brothers.  The frustrating part of raising the baby of the family is that you, as the parent, want time to go slow- it's your last one!  You don't want to rush anything or at least I don't.  But the baby, sheesh, he wants to do everything yesterday.  Preston has been showing signs of being ready to eat food for quite a while, and finally we gave in.  He is by far our most natural eater and also the messiest.  This kid shoves his hands into his mouth the second the spoon gets in there so he can suck on the food.  Then he proceeds to put his hands everywhere.  The highchair, his face, his hands, and his bib are covered.

Some Firsts:
- Rolling from back to stomach
- Getting baptized 
- Sort of Crawling
- Eating Foods
- Grabbing his Feet
- Visit Saugatuck 
- Family Vacation to Toronto
- Uncle John's Cider Mill
- Frist Halloween 


Some of Preston's Favorite Things:
- Grabbing his Feet
- Putting everything in his mouth
- Books- Never Touch a Dinosaur, Dada, Goodnight Gorilla, Very Hungry Caterpillar 
- Water
- Being Outside 
- Carter's star night light in his room 
- Playing Peak-A-Boo
- Watching his brothers, sitting with his brothers, playing with his brothers, his brothers 


One of his favorite chew toys- thanks,
What I Learned as a Mom:
Listen, as reflective as I try to be, I've got four kids five and under.  I'm finding that the best thing I can do is to be present and enjoy with Preston- to make sure I spend time just sitting with him, playing with him, looking at him.  I know one of my hardest jobs is giving people individualized attention so that's what I continue to work on.   I am SO loving any alone time he and I get (even if it happens to be in the middle of the night ;) ).   

Speaking of sleep, I just cannot figure out how to go to bed early enough.  Sometimes Preston sleeps through the night and sometimes he doesn't so I certainly don't feel comfortable knowing I can get uninterrupted sleep.  I am still nervous and still unsure but somehow, I can't fall asleep before 11.  It seems clear that I put alone time, calm time, quiet time, time to do whatever I want, above the actual act of sleeping.  To be able to write or read or spend time with Josh or just seriously sit and watch mindless TV is REALLY REALLY enjoyable.  I pay for it when Preston wakes up for two hours in the middle of the night or when Nolan and Judah show us their pretty faces at 6am and I curse that I stayed up so late. But.... what happens the next night? And the next?  Oops. 
He sure is pretty cute when he's sleeping though ;) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny