Hundt Household Summer Camp for Boys

This is my second summer at home with four kids- I kinda can't believe it. 

I remember, when Preston was a newborn last year, being MOST anxious about the summer. What were we going to do all summer? How would we all function? How would I keep everyone relatively happy? engaged? interested? alive? How would I be able to give all four individual attention? 

Because of who I am, I needed an anchor of some sort to keep things with a bit of structure to help my brain and I was also looking for a way to help myself make sure each day wasn't the same thing over and over again. 

My kids' preschool teacher runs several summer camps each year and always has a theme attached to them like Junior Scientist or Toy Story or Obstacle Course. I really find that nice being able to pick and chose based on your child's interests and it also helps keep their time at camp grounded in some kind of theme- helps keep things engaging, interesting, and super fun! She inspired me to have our summer days at home be a little like our own summer camp.  

I began coming down each morning announcing to the boys what our 'camp day' would be like 'Math Monday' or 'Freaky Friday.' I'm a sucker for an alliteration ;)
A little math on a Monday ;) 

Anyway, the boys ate.it.up. They got SO excited to hear about what the day might be and they embraced our themes fully and completely (my kids are so much cooler than I am). I didn't really mean for all this to be a thing, but it quickly became our summer routine.


Here are some of my favorite 'camp days':
-Move it Monday: On this day, we are extra intentional to add serious movement into what we do. We might play some sports, take a walk, go on a bike ride, have a dance party, and practice something like counting while doing exercising.
A bike ride is a great way to move it

-Make Something Monday: This camp day is super open ended- you just have to make something! We went through the recycling and picked out pieces we could paint and make into something else. We made art, titles it, and then set up an art gallery for Josh when he got home from work. We even found a playlist on Spotify that set the perfect mood.

-Trampoline Tuesday: We really used our trampoline this day! We didn't just jump, but we played games on it, ate snack under it, laid on it to look at clouds, etc.  
Eating lunch on the trampoline

-Work Hard Play Hard Wednesday: On days I know we need to be productive, I make a day like this. We do work first- putting away clothes, cleaning rooms, etc and then we do something to play after. Then the process starts over work and play, work and play. 

-Water Wednesday: A perfect summer day at 'camp.' We can go swimming, get out the sprinkler, etc, etc. The possibilities are endless. 

Playing in the water is a GREAT way to spend the day 

-Take a Trip Thursday:
 Adventures are one of our favorite things here at the Hundt House so of COURSE we have adventures at 'camp.' Sometimes it's just going to a playground, other times it's a surprise play date, or it may even be a trip to Target. Taking a trip is taking a trip ;) 


-No Technology Thursday: Shut off, unplug, and enjoy... 

-Food Friday: A great excuse to bake, experiment, and do a lot of tasting. 
Cookies! :) 

It is NOT easy having four kids at home with you all day every day- the dysfunction can run high, and my patience can certainly run thin. Our Hundt Household Summer Camp for Boys helps keep our brains working, our bodies moving with lots of opportunities for experiences, creativity, and play. Sometimes I do a bit of planning beforehand (I am a teacher after all), but a lot of times we just kinda make it up as we go! 


Our 'camp' runs all summer- feel free to come and join in on the fun! 

What are some ways you enjoy the summer with your family? How do you keep sane when the sibling bickering is at an all-time high? What are some ways you make summer count? I'd love to hear from you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny