Grandparent's Day Should be Everyday

Josh and I LOVE a good adventure. We often talk of selling everything and moving to Belize or Peru or buying a home in Tuscany. We scheme about deciding to leave suburbia and head for Toronto or New York City or Rome. Several times throughout the year, more so during the winter months, we wonder why in the H-E- double hockey stick we live where we live. Mid-Michigan is kind of a drag- we aren't even near one of the Great Lakes! Like what are we seriously thinking?!

Then, we remember...


We love our family... like a lot.

Pavonas
Hundt Cousins

I am currently writing to you in my house, which is located a thirty second drive from my parents' house. I live in the neighborhood I grew up in and I am obsessed with it. Less than twenty minutes away are Josh's parents.


When I was younger, I told my parents I would follow them wherever they go and I've pretty much stuck to that.


I stayed close to home as I went to Michigan State University and when it came time for Josh and I to look for 'real' jobs and figure out where we'd start our married life, I'm not even sure we even debated- we were staying in the Lansing area!


When I was trying to get a teaching job thirteen years ago, it was difficult! The demand for teachers was low low low, but the supply of teachers was high high high. I remember saying during my portfolio presentation, in front of my whole family, Josh's parents, and my professors, that I was looking to stay in Mid-Michigan to teach. My professor legitimately laughed at me.


Despite our love for travel, despite our zest to see the world, despite our enjoyment of being off the grid and by ourselves, Josh and I stayed put. 


We loved going to dinner at our parents' house, loved how easy it was to continue holiday traditions like Christmas Day huge breakfast at Josh's family or spending the night at my parents' house with my siblings on Christmas Eve. Because I'm the oldest, I was able to see my sisters and brother all the time and both of Josh's siblings, too, were close by. We were so grateful to be able to call our parents, often, when we had questions on how to fix things or what kind of lawnmower to buy. As we were starting out in our adulthood, being close to our moms and dads was extremely helpful.


Then we had kids...


We thought we hit the jackpot before when we decided to stay close to home, but having our parents be near after WE became parents... I can't even describe to you.


As you know, our first children were twins. Twins are no freaking joke. It did not take us long from being home from the hospital to figure out that having other humans around to help and support us was invaluable. Nolan and Judah were not even barely a week old when Nolan's breathing monitor went off. We called my parents immediately to come over for my dad, the retired respiratory therapist, to check his lungs. We were so terrified and worried that my mom insisted on staying that night. Looking back on it now, that was so completely ridiculous, but I know how I was in those early months. I was worried about EVERYTHING. Seriously, EVERYTHING. My mom stored pajamas and clothes at our house... just in case ;) 

My mom, holding two babies at once like it's not even a thing

Josh's parents stopped by all the time and also brought us dinner, which, by the way, is the most underrated version of help ever. Not having to think about what to cook and not having to take the time to chop and stir and mix. AH HEAVEN.


I digress...


Both sets of parents were present and extremely helpful as we learned how to parent two babies.


I've only scratched the surface of all these four angels do and have done for Josh and me.


And I haven't even gotten to the most important reason why we live close to home...


Our four boys have the most special and beautiful relationship with their two grandmas and two grandpas. 



 
Living close to our parents was a blessing when it was just Josh and I, but that has been multiplied exponentially since we had children.

Our parents are the best grandparents in the whole world.


Because we live close, they truly get to see my boys grow up- close and in real time.


They can drop them off or pick them up from school, come over to play baseball, take them on small outings, attend soccer games, Christmas plays, field trips, Tae Kwon Do practices, come over for dinner or to try a new cake creation the boys and I cooked together. Our parents are right there for anything and everything they want to be a part of as our boys grow up.


These fantastic humans have even been brave enough to travel with us! 




My dad is our Papa Poppins watching the boys when I would go to work and my mother-in-law also comes so that I can volunteer in Nolan and Judah's classroom. 

Not to mention the occasional babysitting so that Josh and I can have a lunch or dinner in peace ;)  


I write all this because we know we are so so lucky. Yes, it was an intentional decision for Josh and I to settle close to our parents and yes, that took some planning and a lot of hard work, but we know we are fortunate to have been able to try to MAKE that choice in the first place. 


I also write this because there will never be enough thank you cards or hugs or words to ever be able to describe how grateful we are for our parents or how appreciative we are that they WANT to be a part of our sons lives.


Grandparents Day is today, but if should be every day. Each one of our parents is INVALUABLE to us and possibly even more invaluable to our boys. Nolan, Judah, Carter, and Preston love their Grandma, Grandpa, Grammy, and Papa SO SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOO much. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny