Attending My First School Board Meeting

In my teaching career, I've attended several board meetings in my district. My students have presented their learning to the board, I've gone there to stand with my fellow teachers during contract negotiations, and I've been honored to be recognized as we partnered with a local business to construct a student-driven outdoor classroom. 

I know that board room is where things can get done. We have to go to the board to get curriculum approved, for example. There are a lot of decisions made on budgets, human capital allocation, and the priorities for a community and student population. The vision of the entire district is set through a board of education. They adopt policies. 

These elected members do have a lot of power, which is why learning about the candidates and voting is so important. 

Even though these board meetings felt important to me, as a teacher, I hadn't given them a lot of thought as a mom of students until a couple of weeks ago...

I was sitting across from Judah's teacher, who I must tell you is absolutely sensational. It was Judah's fall conference, which took place before school and we had already gone way over our allotted time. I love this seasoned teacher for many reasons, but one that is pertinent is that I can tell she honestly respects me as a fellow educator. Her and I could talk shop forever and ever. 

After she had made me cry because of how well she knows my son and loves on my son, we were talking about frustrating topics in education in my first graders' lives. How much it totally sucks that they got their morning recess taken away only a few weeks into school so teachers could have more time to teach. How it's asinine that tiny first grade hands take math tests completely online with drop down menus and dragging screens. Do you know how much time this poor lady wastes teaching kids how to use the program so they can show what they know in math?! 

I said to her, "I feel like I keep coming to teachers with all my concerns and frustrations and I'm realizing that's not good enough. You get it, you share my feelings. You should not receive all my rants. Because I'm taking this year off, what can I do to better support you? To better stand up for you? To fight for you? Should I go to PTO meetings?!" 

SIDEBAR- If you ever really want to get me riled up, ask me about my boys' elementary PTO and when they hold meetings. 

She said, very clearly and matter of fact, "Don't go to the PTO, go to board meetings."

I nodded. "Done." 

So, I went to the next one, which was tonight. 

I ended up being the only actual audience member. 

There was an orchestra teacher who had gotten permission to speak asking for a field trip approval. There were also a few members of the lacrosse program, who were also set to speak as they want to turn it from a club sport to a varsity sport. 

And me. 

The end. 

This district serves more than 3,000 students and there wasn't another soul in attendance.

I direct you back to above where I list some of the things a school board does. How could I have not taken that more seriously as a mom of four boys who will go through this public school system?! 

I know people are stretched so thin and so busy and evening time is precious and if you're generally happy with how school is going for your child/children, going to a board meeting might not seem like a good way to spend your time. I TOTALLY get it, those were all things in my mind too, reasons for my not ever going since Nolan and Judah have started school. 

However, I have four sons to fight for. I have the voice and choice of students to fight for. I have teachers, the teachers that will educate my children to fight for. I can't tell you yet if this will be a good avenue to fight, to speak up, to make changes, but it's a start.

I may not be in the classroom this year, but there will never ever be a day where I won't be standing up for the betterment of students and their education, for teachers and how amazing they are. I will question and try to change ridiculous, archaic, and unjust educational systems and practices. 

I did not speak today, but rest assure- I will. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny