Our Pediatric Hospital Stay and Human Kindness

Friday we took Carter to see our pediatrician. He was covered in bruises. 

If you know my son, you'd think that bruises were very much a part of his daily life and you'd be absolutely right. There is no one else I know that runs into more things, falls down, and just generally plays with more gusto than he does. Some of his first and most often-used words are: "I'm okay!" as he gets up from yet another wipe out. 

Needless to say, it took us a bit of time to realize that this current bruising might be abnormal. It happened slowly... Carter was unable to articulate how bruises had gotten on parts of his body. We would touch the bruises and they didn't hurt at all, which struck me as strange. He was also bruising in situations where I thought most people wouldn't. 

Cater leg bruising- these were also all over his arms
The last straw that had me making an appointment with our pediatrician was when my mom, the nurse, said, "hmmmmmmmm" when she looked at his skin. Because both my parents are in the medical field, I always go to them first with questions before doing next steps. More often than not, they say, "Oh, that's totally fine!" and then I move on. My mom's thoughtful pause was enough for me to grab my phone.  

Upon seeing our pediatrician, she confirmed that this was not normal. She sent us right away to get blood work drawn and started using all kinds of big words about things I didn't know about. I had a hard time keeping up.


I asked her, "What should my concern level be here?"


She answered, "Right now I'd put you at a 4/10. When the blood work comes back, I may drop you down or I may skyrocket you up." 


A 4/10 might not seem concerning to some, but coming from a pediatrician who NEVER gives me indication that I should worry, this 4 was a big number. 


She continued with, "I also need you to make peace with the fact that you will likely not be spending the night at your house tonight."


Ummmmm, I'm sorry, what?!?!?


I've mentioned before that I have absolutely no poker face so she followed up with, "It is likely any treatment or medications he may need will have to be administered at the hospital." 


I said the only thing I could think to say, "Okay."


The pediatrician then said, "Please let me take care of the worrying for now and while I do that, I need you to do one thing for me..."


"Okay."


"I need you NOT to Google anything."


"Okay," this was apparently becoming the only word I knew.


"No" she pushed farther, "I mean it Kristin, stay off the computer." 


More seriously this time I said, "Okay." 


Usually I wouldn't listen (and she knows that) but this time, I could tell I better do what she says. 


Off we went to the lab to get blood drawn and then we waited. Josh was worried, our parents were worried, I was certainly worried. I went to all the dark places of what this could be as I stared at my perfectly happy son who was just trying to enjoy the rest of his Friday after getting poked.


In a few hours we got a call from our pediatrician. His platelets were low, like extremely low. They should be over 200,000 and they were 12,000. Even though the news was scary, the rest of his blood work all came back normal. This was probably the best of the worst case scenarios. 


When Nolan and Judah got home, we explained what had happened while they were at and began to pack up things for Carter and I to go stay at the hospital. We were told we might be there a day, maybe two, maybe three. His platelets needed to come back up before he'd be released. 


There was a lot of hugging and a lot of tears from everyone.  

Off to the hospital we went. He was being diagnosed with Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic  Purpura or ITP. Essentially, his body was mistakenly attacking his platelets. 


Carter was treated using 
Intravenous Immune Globulin (IVIG), an IV drip, all night Friday into Saturday.  
In true Carter fashion, he charmed absolutely everyone we met on Sparrow Hospital's 5th floor. He passed the time reading, playing, pretending, asking all kinds of questions, moving his bed into all sorts of positions, and watching some dancing Christmas lights on the computer. Somehow he was even able to get some sleep. 

In true Kristin fashion, I was worried, often teary, trying to keep everyone updated, playing, pretending, NOT asking nearly enough questions (I didn't even know what to ask yet), and continually trying to snuggle this little human, my little human, as much as I could. I did not get any sleep. I also had a good cry in the shower when we got home. That is also in true Kristin fashion ;) 

He had blood drawn again Saturday afternoon and his body was responding to the medicine as his platelets slowly began to rise. He was able to come home Saturday night.
Constantly pushing the buttons on his bed

During those 30ish hours, I was shown over and over and over again how good and thoughtful and kind humans can be- both strangers and friends alike
.


Our pediatrician checked on him several times, all outside of  normal business hours, all on her weekend. When he was responding well to the IVIG, she let me know she was so worried about him Friday that she didn't eat lunch (that sounds a bit higher than a 4/10, doc). It was so thoughtful she stayed involved.


The nurses and doctors in the pediatrics wing were absolutely incredible- kind, welcoming. They have so many systems in place there to help kids feel loved and parents feel supported right from the moment you arrive. I could blog about just that, and probably will.

Nolan and Judah were fantastic. They prayed for Carter, drew him pictures, and called him often to check in. Preston didn't really know what was happening, but did his part by being adaptable, and positively adorable. 

Our parents and siblings dropped everything or offered to drop everything to help us. Carter got a visit from his cousin, Josh's parents, and my mom. My dad shuffled back and forth from our house so that Josh and I could both have time with Carter.  Carter's aunts and uncles were constantly checking on him, texting to ask how things were, Facetiming and wanting to see him. 


Our friends were absolutely amazing. We had one set of neighbors ask to come visit even though they had dropped their own kids off at a grandparent to do some much needed Christmas shopping and another set offered to sit in the late evening with me just so I wouldn't be alone.


We had friends want to bring books, food, games, jokes, and Christmas cheer and others not tell us of their busy weekend plans, but instead say, "We can come help anytime, just call." 


I felt the kindness, Carter felt it, Josh felt it, Nolan, Judah, and Preston felt it... we really and truly did.

This ITP diagnosis will affect Carter's life and ours. This all happened very fast and we are still trying to catch up and reflect. There is a lot to learn and a lot to understand in the coming weeks and months, but this is treatable and we are lucky.

I think sometimes I'm a little bit jaded. 

I let the feelings I have about all the things that infuriate me in this world, all the things I want to change, weigh me down and weigh me down big. I can sometimes be a skeptic, a pessimist. 

We have the best people surrounding us, supporting us, loving on us, and I am so grateful. 

I'm frustrated, and a bit embarrassed honestly, that sometimes I need a slap in the face to remind me how wonderful humans can be. This world is FULL of good people doing good things. I want to continue to find multiple ways to be one of those good people doing good things and raise four boys to do the same. 

Comments

  1. Kristin, I don't know if you remember me, I am Chase and Mikayla Duncan's mom. I have ITP, being diagnosed when I was pregnant with Chase. My nephew (9 years old) was just diagnosed last year also. Keep calm, it's treatable and workable, just something you will have to keep an eye on. Thoughts and prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of COURSE I remember! Thank you for reaching out. I feel good knowing that ITP has been manageable in your life and your nephew's. That helps a lot. Please give both your kids my love and a squeeze for me- oh how much I adored them both.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny