PRESTON IS THREE

Dear Preston,


HAPPY THIRD BIRTHDAY!!! My last baby is three! The other day, at Great Grandma Hundt’s funeral, I saw a few of Daddy’s cousins with baby bellies and it was so strange to me that I’m done with having a brand new baby in the house. You are it. What a beautiful ending to the baby stage, though, as you have been a radiant light; bringing more joy wherever it is that you are.


This last year you learned to truly speak, jump incredibly well on the trampoline, go down slides, swing, dig in the sand, have books that you can read by heart, sing all kinds of songs, say prayers, and confirm for Daddy and I that we created no shy or quiet children. Hearing you find your voice and seeing you learn of things you love has been an awesome part of your two-year-old life! 


You are certainly finding your own way and doing things your own way too.


Sometimes you’ll eat anything like sushi or soup or all kinds of salads. Other times you don’t feel like eating a banana anymore after you were obsessed with them or decide you don’t like peanut butter and jelly. You demand to be the one to shut your door and turn off your light before bed and cannot STAND to have dirt or food or anything messy on your hands. You pick the books, you pick the naptime or bedtime songs, you decide you hate being buckled into your booster seat or highchair at the table, but refuse to stay seated while eating. Preston, it can be hard to figure you out- once I think I know, you switch it right up!


Although you were slated to start preschool this past fall, you’ve just started a few weeks ago and are LOVING it. I wasn’t sure how it would go as you’ve hardly left our house for half of your life now with the pandemic, but you’ve adjusted so well! The second or third day of school, you were already asking to be put down so you could walk up to the door all by yourself.  I’m grateful that you are able to interact with peers your age and are able to get some much needed adult attention too. It’s been hard, I’ll be honest, this last year to really give anyone my full undivided attention at any given moment. You’ve not gotten the true ‘last baby’ experience of just you and I spending all kinds of time together while your big brothers are at school, but we are making up for some of that now. 


I am in awe of all the things you can do...


things I never would’ve dreamt of doing with Nolan, Judah, or Carter when they were your age. I don’t know that I love you being a youngest child and learning songs like “yummy” by Justin Bieber, the word ‘butthead’ (I HATE that you know that word) or how to have a meltdown from watching your older brothers. But, in the last year you’ve been to Montana, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Saint Augustine twice, and Maine. You are the best traveler ready for any adventure unless you get carsick. You can hike and walk miles and miles. You can stay outside all day. You are already playing pretend games with your brothers. Then sometimes I think it’s kinda cool you have older siblings.


Some of my favorite things to do with you are to sing songs, read books (you are super into Because I’m Your Dad, First Words, First Colors, Baby Animals, Max and the Tagalong Moon, any books with Mickey Mouse), do sensory bins, go on buggie rides, and tickle you. Every day after we drop your brothers off, you require that I play “I Like to Move it Move it” in the car. I am mostly here just to make your dreams comes true :)


I hope that three brings you some friendships with kids at school, finally mastering your colors (I keep thinking maybe you are color blind, but no one believes me hahah), getting fast on your balance bike, learning how to count and your numbers, and spending a lot of quality time with me. I want to play games with you, hide and seek with you, and have you be my sidekick for all kinds of errands and adventures. 


Your smile is huge, your laugh is contagious, your eyes sparkle when you are happy. There is no way your brothers could think you’re any cuter.


We love you BIG, littlest guy. 


HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I love you,

Ma Ma Mama


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny