I'M AN AUTHOR (Sort of) and Other Things I Want to be When I Grow Up

My teaching partner, Katie and I, talk a lot to our sixth graders about what they want to be when they grow up and also what WE want to be when WE grow up ;).

While learning about a man who discovered a pre-clovis spearhead that could completely change the story of who our Native Americans are and where they came from, I screamed out, "I SO want to be an archeologist when I grow up!"

When watching a documentary, Guns, Germs, and Steel, on the history of power and white privilege in our world, I throw my hands in the air and yell, "Dr. Dimond!  He traveled all over the world and made his life's work trying to figure out why some groups have power and others don't?!  THAT'S what I want be when I grow up!"

On the completion of the novel A Long Walk to Water, we find out that one of the main characters is real and has devoted his life to bringing water access to his home country of South Sudan.  I slam my hands on the desk and declare, "Now I've changed my mind!  Working for a global non-profit that helps people get clean water is what I want to be when I grow up!"

After seeing images of Machu Picchu and Chichen Itza and how perfectly persevered those ancient ruins are, we discuss the many humans who restore these structures.  I run up to the screen, point at the farm terraces and announce, will full conviction of course, "No, no no!  THIS!  THIS is what I want to do when I grow up!  Send me to Peru and let me fix these masterpieces!"

And, almost weekly, while reading books and talking about books incessantly, I throw in, "Yep, I'm going to be an author when I grow up!"

In the beginning of the year, my students would react by telling me I was already a grown up and already doing something- "You're a teacher! Isn't that what you wanted to be when you grew up?!"

I laugh and respond with, "Of course!  But I'd like to think I've still got some growing to do and some difference to make."

By the middle of the year, having Mrs. Hundt get all dramatic, yet again, about something she'd like to be when she grows up turns into a time when these tweens will shake their head and roll their eyes with a little smile signaling that you're being a weirdo, yet again, but that they dig it.

Besides all of the aforementioned things I'd like to be when I grow up, you can add meteorologist, lactation consultant, an employee of World Vision, social studies curriculum writer, a music selector for TV shows, a travel agent, and a professional picture book reader/recommender (that last one might not be a job, but if it is one, I'd be sensational at it I think).

I clearly need to get busy!

I am, however, honored to say that recently I've made some steps to one of these jobs...

As of a couple of weeks ago, my teaching partner and I have been featured in a BOOK!  OUR story, OUR words, have been published in a real book that people can buy!  I can't even believe it!  I'm an author!!!!!!!! (Sort of)

Way back in February, I received a blog from a fellow educator I follow on Twitter, A.J. Juliani.  AJ is an innovator and was a source of information for me as my teaching partner and I learned about beginning genius hour in our classroom. He blogged that he was writing a book to help teachers try Project-Based Learning in their classrooms.  He was hoping to elicit teacher voice and stories of PBL work.  I clicked on a link and began to fill out a Google Doc about the work we've done in our outdoor classroom not really thinking it would go anywhere.  We do PBL work and we love it, why not tell our story and see, I thought. 
Our Outdoor Classroom- one product of our Project/Problem-Based Learning work


Within a couple of weeks, AJ emailed me to tell me he wanted our story, OUR STORY in his book!  WHAT!?!  And, after writing more details, and some back and forth with edits and revisions, our work was published!  Check out the book here!

Getting this book in the mail and turning to page 115 to see our names in print was a rush I cannot describe.  Sitting it among other informational books that have changed my teaching, changed my parenting, changed me as a human being.  It is completely surreal.


Even better than that, I showed it to my boys and Nolan jumped into my arms for an enormous hug.  His pride and excitement for me made me absolutely burst. After all, being a mom when I grew up was and has always been my #1 thing I wanted to be when I grew up.  

I hope that my continued zest for knowledge and aspirations to continue pursuing the things I want to be when I grow up will help me be seen as a role model to my kids at home and kids at school.  I am curious.  I am passionate.  I am a life-long learner in every sense of the word.  Just because I'm almost 35 doesn't mean I've figured everything out- doesn't mean I'm done trying new things, exploring new interests.  Even when your job and life are busy and challenging, and rigorous and fulfilling, there is always more to learn, always more passions to explore.  Who knows what I will be when I grow up, but I'd like to think that I've made some baby steps to get 'author' checked off my list.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny