World Refugee Day: Some Resources

Today, June 20th, is #WorldRefugeeDay...

Because of the content I've taught during my teaching career, I've been fortunate enough to become knowledgeable on several countries around the world. Countries like Afghanistan, South Sudan, and Syria, for example. These countries just so happen to be three of the top countries refugees are coming from so this global issue has a very special place in my heart. 

I wanted to pool some resources here so that my readers could build knowledge, build empathy, and learn what an impact and difference you could make! 

Here are some great websites to learn more: 
- Top Countries Refugees are Coming From 
- The United Nations Refugee Agency is a powerhouse for information and statistics
- Amnesty International works to help people achieve their basic human rights, including safety, and has great things to read on the refugee crisis. 
- Read here to learn about the top five refugee crises in our world today. 

One of the best decisions my teaching partner and I made this year was teaching the book Refugee by Alan Gratz. His story is somehow current and timeless all at the same time profiling three migrants throughout history (during WW2, the Special Period in Cuba during the 1990s, and the Syrian conflict). READ THIS.... like NOW! 

We read over 150 picture books to our sixth graders this year. Some of my absolute favorites were about refugees. Here are some must-reads:
- How I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz
- My Beautiful Birds by Suzanne Del Rizzo
- Stepping Stones: A Refugee Family's Journey by Margriet Ruurs 
- The Journey by Francesca Sanna 
- Lost and Found Cat: The True Story of Kunkush's Incredible Journey by Doug Kuntz
- Marwan's Journey by Patricia de Arias
- The Day the War Came by Nicola Davies 

There are so many more, but that's a start. These books serve to honor the voice of a refugee and help children, and adults alike, understand their story and perspective. 

Knowledge is power. It is important to know what is going on in the world. But with that knowledge comes great responsibility. 

The over estimated 70 million refugees in our world today need our help! 

If you're looking to make an impact and help make a difference in the refugee crisis, one of my favorite charities is helprefugees.org. They do so much good work, but my favorite is being able to buy specific items that will go to refugees. Shop their store here

I so appreciate #WorldRefugeeDay to help honor the millions of voices and stories that need to be heard, need to be listened to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny