PRESTON IS FIVE

Dear Preston,

HAPPY FIFTH BIRTHDAY! You are so excited to be five. It’s been very important that people around you have known you are 4.5. I can imagine being able to tell people you’re five is going to be quite exciting. You have much to look forward to: likely being tall enough to climb the St. Augustine lighthouse the next time we visit, being able to ride more rides at amusement parks, being able to go to summer camps and bible school, starting kindergarten. A big time in your life- this five-year-old birthday.

You Are My True Sidekick



For me, as your mom, this birthday has been making me quite a puddle of tears. Like it or not, you’re last. I can’t IMAGINE letting you go to kindergarten even though it’s only a few months away. I can’t IMAGINE you being gone all day. I can’t IMAGINE not having my grocery store partner, not having you still be in your pjs at 9:00am and us getting ready for the day after your brothers are at school. It’s funny, you being the baby. In some ways you’ve gotten more time with me than any of your brothers. I never stayed home completely like I am this year and there has also never been a time where only ONE kid was home alone with a parent like this. In some ways, you get me less than your siblings. Everyone is busy, everyone has practices and lessons and places to be. Sometimes in the evenings, you and I hardly see each other. I’m a mess letting you go. I really am. I’m crying writing this even. If nothing else, know how much I treasured this time with just you and me. I’ll always hold it close. 

What You're Into



This year, you continue to want to do all the things your brothers are doing. When they are home, you want to play Monopoly Deal, air hockey, Nintendo Switch, jump on the trampoline, and ride any bike, skateboard, scooter that you can get your hands on. When you are home by yourself, you love to play with your pretend kitchen, play with Playdoh or Kinetic Sand, and do art projects. You have your feet in both words: the little kid and big kid and you can go seamlessly through either. You are fantastic at playing all by yourself and then can also hold your own just wonderfully in a group. I’ve been super impressed with how well you build with Magnatiles (gosh those are just the best toys) and you are game to do any learning activity with me too (at least for a little while). You love books and music, our Tuesday movies, Friday Field Trips, and listening to the Thomas the Train Podcast. 


Your brothers are your everything and the people who drive you the most crazy. With Nolan you like to play games the best. Judah and you play pretend in the basement or three-seasons room for hours. You both love stuffies so much and love to integrate them into whatever you’re doing. Carter and you play trains and in times that Nolan and Judah are gone, I’ve asked Carter if he wants to do something with me and he almost always tells me he just wants to have special playtime with you. Your brothers all call you “Buddy” and they think you are the cutest thing in the world. 


You learned how to ride a bike this year, are starting to read (I love it when you sound words out), and have been working on coloring and writing too. I love that you and I have built a little routine together. 

What's Next



Grammy and Grandma always comment on how you talk like you’re an old man. I don’t always notice it and then the other day you told me that eating lunch every day at school was “nonsense” and I get where they’re coming from. You say things like, “that’s odd.” You do not stop talking-ever. It’s so crazy how just a couple years ago you were in speech because you had so few words. 


I know this coming year is going to be HUGE! You’ll be in kindergarten! I hope five brings some great friends. I hope five bring learning how to swim and tie your shoes (although your brothers didn’t learn that second one until they were 7 and 9). I can’t wait to keep reading with you and learning math. Please keep holding my hand. Please keep telling me that I’m the best mommy and making me feel better when I’m sad or not feeling good with extra kisses and Arfy’s ear rubbing on me.


I will never forget this 4-year-old year with you, P. Never ever. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Onto big five-year-old things. 

I love you, no matter what,

Your very grateful Mama


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny