Disney Princesses and Tea Parties- The Life of This #BoyMom

I have three boys. I don't have any daughters.

This is my truth.  I am outnumbered- plain and simple.

Josh and I have both been intentional about trying NOT to make our house one giant man cave.  We've been very gender neutral with everything we've exposed the boys to, supported and facilitated whatever activities the boys wanted to try, whatever toys or games they might want to have in the house and are very, VERY careful not to talk about toys, games, movies, books, or hobbies being "boy stuff" or "girl stuff."

Regardless of all that, my boys have a lot of qualities that make them very stereotypically... well.. manly.

In addition, I happen to have a lot of qualities that make me very stereotypically... well... girly.

My favorite thing about all three of my boys is how game they are to try and learn about and experience just about anything.  They are really open- open minds, open hearts and I have really enjoyed that.

What that means is that while our house is covered in cars, trucks, balls, trains, and tools, we also have welcomed additions of some "girly" things too (although I'd never refer to them as that).

One of Nolan and Judah's favorite games to play is a Disney Princess Cupcake Party Game. It's a game where essentially you build cupcakes based on Disney Princesses.  You match cupcake wrappers, cake, frosting, and flair on top to make a delicious rubbery treat that would be exactly would represent a Pocahontas or Jasmine or Belle.   Judah happened to play it with his speech teacher while I was there with him so I got to gush over the Cinderella cupcake.  Cinderella is my most FAVORITE Disney Princess, hands down.  I have loved her my whole life.  Just so you know how much I love her, I have shed many tears admiring Cinderella's Castle at Disney World, get super offended that Tinker Bell comes out of there (why in the WORLD is she associated with a castle that's not from Peter Pan I'd love to know), dragged Josh (who was willing to do anything for a big breakfast) to eat breakfast at Cinderella's Castle while at Disney World (we were the only adults there without kids), and our wedding invitations and cake topper even paid homage to Cinderella and Prince Charming. 
Josh and I eating at Cinderella's Castle- February 2009

Cake topper at our wedding- I even painted Cinderella's hair brown so it could look more like me ;) 

Anyway, I digress...

The smile on Judah's face as he practiced his words and got pieces to the Cinderella cupcake so he could give it to me to "eat" was just priceless and so sweet.  He became totally obsessed with that game, got it for Christmas and now Nolan loves building Princess cupcakes as much as he does.  It's one of the games they play the most in our house.  Talking about all the princesses with them is super fun for me too. 


Image result for disney princess cupcake game
Image from Pinterest
Speaking of Cinderella, while the boys were on spring break, we made a To-Do list of things they wanted to experience while being home.  One of the first things they said was that they wanted to watch Cinderella with me.  My heart almost exploded.  So, over two days, we watched my FAVORITE Disney movie with my FAVORITE princess- just my three boys and me.  They loved it by the way.  It meant so much to me. 

My boys love to tea party with me- it's probably the thing we do most during bathtime.  Their Minnie Mouse tea set is one of our most loved toys.  

I guess what I'm saying is how important it is to raise well-rounded humans that do not feel any limits from their home and parents on what they can and can't do, what they can and can't be into, what they can and can't experience, what they can and can't play with.  

My sons are certainly and unfortunately going to hear "that's for girls" or "that's not for a boy."  Even more unfortunate, someone may tell them someday that "boys don't cry" or to "be a man" or that something they are doing is okay because "boys will be boys."  They have undoubtedly seen and will continue to see images everywhere of gender stereotypes.  But none of those things have to come from my mouth or my house.  

There are biological and physiological differences between male and female to which this #boymom will be very intelligent and well versed about (I've already read several books on parenting boys), but I don't need to be the person to fuel any more fire in that area or make anyone in my house feel limitations about their passions, interests, or strengths.  

This #boymom will continue to build buildings, drive trucks around the house, dress up, make toot noises, have dance parties, make princess cupcakes, create flower arrangements, sing, watch sports, make a mess, do housework, and drink spots of tea with these three boys AND their new baby brother or sister ;)   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny