JUDAH IS NINE

Dear Judah,

HAPPY NINTH BIRTHDAY! Nine feels so big… way bigger than eight. I can’t deal with it. You and Nolan made me a mom and will always make your birthday extra special to me as well. It’s funny how even though nine years have gone by there are some things about you that are just you. Those are the things I hold the most dear.

This Year


I feel like you and I have made huge gains this year. Working together is hard for us sometimes and boy did we have to figure it out! Online school shoved us together and we did a lot of hard work, compromising, and listening to figure out how to make learning positive for both of us. I love working with you- seeing you excited when you get a question right, hearing you remember things from days or weeks ago, finding and correcting mistakes. We do things differently, you and I, but we’ve been able to get into such a good groove of sitting down and working together and I am beyond grateful for that. Judah, you’ve been working so hard this year, SO hard. Third grade has been no joke. You’ve had long writing pieces almost every single week, math homework, difficult spelling words, and a new reading program to try and navigate. To say you do things with grace and patience would be an understatement. It hasn’t always been easy and has often been tiring even, but you seriously amaze me so very much. There are not very many people who are as flexible as you or who can learn things in multiple ways as you. My favorite part is that you love my little mnemonic tricks. You’ve been able to see your hard work pay off again and again. 

One thing that’s been interestingly different this year is your organization skills. You’ve always been into collecting little trinkets and things, which has definitely caught up with you. Even though I’ve never seen it, I can only imagine what the inside of your desk looks like.  I have to say that in past years, you would never forget a thing. This year has been very different  and it’s been a journey ;) I have a feeling organization skills is going to be something our whole family is going to be working hard at in the coming years.

I have learned that you love kind words written about you. When I leave you a sticky note on your pillow or a note in your backpack, you can’t get enough. You usually reciprocate the words too. I currently have two hearts taped to my headboard that you made me around Valentine’s Day. I may keep them there forever.  

Things You Love


This past year you have found a sport you LOVE-golf. You were so excited to do lessons last summer and loved it so much you asked to keep going in the fall.  I’m looking forward to seeing what this summer will bring for you with that. I think it’s super cool and brave to try something that no one else in our house has any experience with. You didn’t take up golf to do it with a friend, you wanted to play it because it’s what you wanted to do. You are sensational at being your own person- it’s one of my very favorite things about you. You also played basketball this year with Nolan on a team coached by Dad. I loved that the three of you had something you did together. You want to give piano lessons a try and I’m really excited about that. 

Besides golf and basketball, you’ve really been into art this year. You like making 3D art pieces by using stickers, string, buttons, pom poms, whatever you can find to add to whatever you paint, color, or draw. Your art teacher just sent an email last week about what a good weaver you are. I think that’s amazing! You continue to be an awesome solo player being perfectly content with going into the basement playroom, shutting the door, and enveloping yourself into imagination. It’s totally cool if one or more of your brothers joins you, but you are perfectly happy playing alone as well. Judah, you’ve gotten into the whole Pokemon phenomenon that’s swept through our house too and were so smart to use some of your Hundt Helpers money to buy a couple of Pokemon books to learn more. Your brothers have ALL benefited from that decision. 

You have a very special relationship with your grandpas in particular. I think that’s really great! You light up when you see them and they light up when they see you. The relationship you have with Preston is also very special. You are all great big brothers to him, but you have taken a special interest in spending really quality time with him. You will play with what he wants to play with and watch what he wants to watch. Sometimes, when Nolan and Carter are doing something else, you will even keep Preston company and away from things he could hurt or mess up ;) I really appreciate your care of your brother. Truly. 

Going Into Nine

As many things that change and progress, so many things stay the same. You still never complain about being outside no matter the temperature. You are still steadfastly stubborn. The stuffed animals in your life are your greatest treasure. Your even-keel nature is misleading; once you get upset, watch out. Your food and your art ends up just as much on your clothes, face, and hands, as it does in your mouth or on paper. You get embarrassed when you get praised, but you LOVE it. You usually fall asleep the second you hit the pillow. 

In this next year, I hope that you continue getting confident in math, reading, and writing. You are working SO hard! I want you to keep seeing your progress and how much you are growing and how smart you are getting. You are so very well liked at school- everyone seems to know you. I hope this next year brings some closer friendships with people you like just the way they are and people who like you just the way you are. I hope we serve more together.

Grateful to be with you for the ride. Bring it on, nine! I think you are a really great human and I am so thankful to spend time with you.

I love you,

Mama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny