NOLAN IS NINE

Dear Nolan,

HAPPY HAPPY NINTH BIRTHDAY!!!! WHAT?!?! I can’t believe it. This year yours is my last letter I’m writing. I am knee deep in the middle of birthday week and a lot of other busy things and I am pooped, but in a good way. 

I barely saw you today. I had to teach all day today so I came downstairs early to spend some time before I left. Carter and I worked on a red-eyed tree frog project while you were watching some TV. We said goodbye to each other. When I got home, you were just two or three minutes away from leaving for baseball practice. Directly after, you had soccer practice. You got home at 8:15 and got ready for bed. The end. Wednesdays are quite nutty right now. I say all that because there was a time, not very long ago, where we had nothing to do and nowhere to go. The thought of there being a day where I’d hardly see you was laughable. There was also a time, longer ago, when you were tiny and basically never left me alone. Again, if someone would’ve told me that in a blink there would be days where I sometimes wouldn’t spend much time with you, I could have never comprehended it.

What's Been Going on This Year

You are a busy guy with many things you love to do. Right now it’s baseball and soccer. It’s been basketball too. Or you are rushing to get outside as quickly as possible… or maybe bounding down the basement stairs to build something or organize your Pokemon binder. Always on the go, my boy. The thing is, the beautiful thing is, that you are never too busy to check in with me, talk to me, ask me how my day was. You never get too far or too preoccupied to connect with me before going off again to do whatever it is you want to be doing. Please always check in with me, my sweet boy.

School this year has been touch and go for you. I’ve said this before, but honestly pandemic life suited you in a way. You liked being able to get things done at your own pace and then being able to go do whatever you want to do. Full days of school (with three days of aftercare) have been a lot for you. You often have ‘Sunday scaries’ and complain a lot about not wanting to go to school. I need to be clear that you actually love school- you love your teacher and what you are learning and peers, etc, but you are often the kind of person that would just love to be at home with your people. You already dread long days before they even happen. I get it. You’ve read so many books this year and are quite a voracious reader. I love it! Your teacher has given you opportunities to challenge yourself and learn about some cool things. I hope you always keep your curiosity about learning alive and well. You are such a good thinker! 

One of the things I think is really awesome is how much you’ve gotten into what I’M teaching. Because learning about the world is kinda your thing, we will often talk about MY social studies content. My students just had a debate about what kind of involvement they believe the US should have in the war between Ukraine and Russia. You’ve debated this with me for days.


What You're Into

Your eighth year has been a big one for sports. Now that we are all able to actually DO things again, things have been busy! Shortly after you turned eight, you tried out for a soccer team and didn’t make it. This level of disappointment was new for you. Although at first I wanted to take away all your feelings or uncertainty, sadness, and embarrassment you were feeling, I realized quickly what a good experience this was for you. Things often come easy to you and you don’t struggle very well when they don’t. You need to ‘fall on your face’ a lot more to build up your resilience and inner self confidence and grace. I was sorry you wouldn’t have that opportunity, but it was good for you not to get picked. Later this year you tried out for a baseball team and made it, which I think was also a great experience too. Right now you are playing both soccer and baseball and shuffling you around to both of those has been a challenge. You are exhausted, but so joyful to be playing these sports. You say basketball is your favorite. I’ve seen you light up about baseball unlike the other sports so we’ll see how it all turns out ;) 

When you are not playing sports, you are very into Pokemon cards (I’ve said that now in everyone else’s birthday letter too). You love to draw random things, spend time outside, ride your bike and hoverboard. Honestly, one of your favorite things to do is have conversations with adults especially about travel, sports, or current events. You are into cars and are no happier than when you see a G-Wagon drive by. 


Going Into Nine

This next year I hope you continue to build up resiliency strategies by making mistakes, having things that are difficult, and taking risks all in the confines of a safe environment. I keep telling your teacher how grateful I’ve been for moments of struggle with you this year and how safely she lets you ‘fall on your face.’ I hope this is a year where we serve more together. This year I’d like to see more honesty and let your dad and I prove to you that you can tell us anything. 

It’s funny how in every stage and as every year goes by, I love so much the person you keep becoming. Eight has been great- let’s bring on nine!! I’m proud of you, proud to know you, and proud to have been given the honor of being your mom. 

I love you,

Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny