Registering

March 1st, 2nd, and 3rd: 
(28 weeks and 3, 4, and 5 days)
I promised Josh, a piece of paper, and my therapist that I would begin to move forward after a good 28 week doctor's appointment.  At our doctor's appointment, both babies had a great heart rate, and this was the first time they gave us an estimated weight and growth percentile.  Baby A was in the 77 percentile and Baby B was in the 61st.  Each measurement that was taken, they were ahead of schedule.  The doctor we saw told us that if I was to carry these babies to term, they would each be at least 8.5 pounds!!!!  Basically what he said that meant is that I would probably deliver early, but that our twins would be nice and big.  That is exactly what I was going for!  I guess my protein is really paying off. 

After the appointment, we spent the weekend registering for gifts, a huge step for me.  As we walked down all the baby aisles at Babies R Us and Target, it occurred to both of us how different registering for a baby is compared to registering for wedding gifts.  We had done plenty of research on items, but it still felt very unknown compared to picking out dishes or towels.  We knew we needed things like baby lotion, but how much?  We knew we needed highchairs, but what kind?  As fun and exhilarating as that process was, I think we both felt a little blind. 

My mom came with me Saturday to register and that helped a lot!  Having five kids and being a nurse in the NICU does give you some good knowledge and expertise. 

Were there tears shed in those baby aisles?  Yes of course :) 

One of the big things we researched was baby monitors.  I have to be careful when buying products like this because there is a fine balance between products that HELP my crazy and products that FUEL my crazy.  I knew I wanted something more than a traditional monitor, but wasn't sure what kind that might be.  After much deliberation, we decided on the AngelCare Monitors with the movement sensor.  Essentially, you put a little pad underneath where the babies sleep and if that pad senses no movement for 20 seconds, an alarm goes off.  This monitor got amazing reviews and is recommended by NICU nurses.

I am hopeful that this monitor will HELP my crazy.  I am happy to accept the occasional false alarm and feel that I might rest easier knowing that something is making sure our babies are breathing.  I read stories from parents about this monitor saving their baby's life and I was further hooked. 

I thought about a video monitor, but decided that would FUEL  my crazy.  I had visions of myself being up all night long staring at the screen watching every single movement, twitch, etc that either of our babies might do.  I feel like I would wake up and check that WAY too often that I would end up more sleep deprived than I'm already going to be. 

I know myself well enough to know that no matter which monitor we chose, I am going to be crazy with worry for a while and I accept that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny