CARTER is FIVE

Dear Carter,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are FIVE and I can’t believe it! What a huge year for you- I don’t even know if I’ll be able to do it justice capturing it here.

The place I need to start is with what you’ve overcome. In December, you gave us a huge scare as your platelets were dangerously low and we had to spend some time in the hospital getting them back up. You were diagnosed with a blood disorder called ITP. This has brought some worry and several doctors appointments into our life, but you’ve been doing wonderful and are about to go there in a few days hoping to get cleared as back to normal! This whole medical process has brought an interest in all things ‘doctor’ to you. You love playing doctor and going through the whole process of taking blood and checking platelets and doing treatments. Maybe you’ll be a doctor or nurse someday; that would be such an awesome story! We are so glad you are okay. 
I need you to know, right now, that things are super weird around here. There is a virus in our country and in our world called the Corona Virus and it is so contagious and dangerous and new that we’ve had to drastically change our daily life. All six of us have been at home, together, for the last 7 weeks. Schools are closed, we have to go grocery shopping with a mask and gloves on, and we are not allowed to see our family or our friends. Daddy is working upstairs and the rest of us have been together. This has been very hard for everyone. Although you miss school and seeing family and friends, I think it's been fun for you to learn with Mommy as your teacher and the extra playtime you've gotten with your brothers has been great for you as well. I am sad that the end of your preschool has been taken from you and the graduation ceremony is still up in the air at this point. This is such a special time in your life.


Your heart has grown bigger this year. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone so loving. You love me, especially, something fierce, but show your love so much to others too. You love snuggles, kisses, hugs, and verbally telling people how much you love them. You often say to me that you love me more than I love you, which I tell you is just impossible! Nothing makes you happier than to lay and snuggle with your family or have Prim snuggle up with you. 

Carter, you love to play! Besides doctor, some of your other favorite games are “The Baby Game,” where you take care of Daddy or me and pretend we are your baby. You’re going to the BEST dad in the world someday for your love of babies in general. “The Pillow Game” is where you pretend to be a pillow and then talk while we are trying to sleep. The other game you like to play is "Call Disney" where we use the Walkie Talkies and you call me and ask about Disney rides. I let you know wait times then you come and ride the rides. You also love to play with cars and magnatiles (especially to make me trophies), board games including Trouble, Candy Land, Zingo, Pop the Pig and recently Chess is your jam. Nolan and Judah have been teaching you during our quarantine at home and you’ve loved it. You are a quick learner! You’ve given taekwondo a try this year and are really good at it. Even though you don’t seem to love many sports, you love to be a goalie and catcher so maybe you will follow in your Daddy’s footsteps. Although, considering your size and natural ability, you should be slamming into people playing some sport like football (but I'm relieved you're not into it).

One of my most favorite things about you is what a good eater you are. I love that this year you, Preston, and me have been at home for lunches because I can eat whatever and you both will try it and usually love it too. Even if you don’t end up liking it, you will try anything and I think that’s great! Some of your favorite foods are Panera Mac and Cheese, pizza, french onion soup, crab ragoons, spring rolls or egg rolls, and caprese salads or caprese sandwiches. Those last two you could eat every single day for every single meal and be perfectly happy. 

I am loving learning with you! Through your preschool teacher’s awesome foundation, we’ve really been able to learn a lot while we’ve been home. You are great at sounding out words and are beginning to read! It is so cool to see! You get frustrated easily and get angry if you don’t learn things right away or don’t know something your brothers know. We’ve been working on that. Silly books are your favorite like I am NOT a chair! or The Book With No Pictures or I Spy books. I’ve been reading books aloud to you, Nolan, and Judah and you are my toughest audience. You aren’t sold by just any book, it’s got to be perfect.  
I have no idea how I’m going to let you go to kindergarten in a few months. I really don’t. You and I have been special buddies for a long, long time. I think because Nolan and Judah have always had each other, we naturally spent a lot of time together. You always tell me you’d rather be home with me and never want to miss anything that’s happening at home.  I am so used to you being a part of my day- letting you go is going to be something awful with oh so many tears. Like OH.SO.MANY. 
Your big laugh, your big snuggles, your big feelings, and your big heart are so important in our family. I can’t wait to see what FIVE YEARS brings to you, my Bing!
I love you so so much- HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
Your Mama Baby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny