JUDAH is SEVEN


Dear Judah,
HAPPY SEVENTH BIRTHDAY! This is your golden birthday- you are seven on the seventh. I’m certain we will talk about this birthday often and it’s uniqueness will spread far beyond it being your golden birthday. We are in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic- schools are closed, we have to wear a mask to be in public, and we cannot see our family or friends. Daddy is working from home upstairs, the rest of us are together… oh so much togetherness for the last seven weeks. 


We’ve been doing home school of sorts and it’s been challenging to stay the least. It’s very hard to balance everyone’s needs and wants and help all of you learn and progress forward. You don’t always buy what I’m selling, either. You love to learn, but you don’t give away your love for learning on just anything... it has to be the right thing. Right now you are super into animals, bugs, and the general small details in the outside world. When we go on walks, you’ll be lagging behind significantly because you’ve stopped to observe an ant farm. It’s amazing how this observant part of your personality grows and morphs as you get older, but has never gone away. You’re also super into holes in the ground that animals make. You want to know everything about what kinds of animals make them, what they’re for, how big they can get, etc. You are definitely not a traditional learner and you make me want to work harder than ever to help you light up about knowledge. We are reading together, doing math together, learning about the world together, growing together. 
This year at school has been a sensational one. You are surrounded by adults that truly care for you, show kindness at every opportunity, believe in you, and also hold you accountable. That is a dream team. School ending for you early this year has been devastating because of all the progress you’ve made and the wonderful learning community you are a part of. First grade will be a memorable year for sure. I want to continue to work on your self concept and self confidence, my sweet boy. It’s so hard for you to take a compliment and you get down on yourself easily. I get frustrated with you sometimes because I know there is SO much you can do and SO much that you know, but that self assurance takes a while to come through.  
You continue to really like taekwondo and enjoy trying other sports at home with your brothers. Nolan, especially, has really appreciated you playing soccer, street hockey, and basketball with him. I keep telling you that you should be a runner- your form is perfect, but you keep shooting me down so far ;) I just love discovering things you love. You and Nolan have been in chess club this year and it’s been amazing to watch how good you both have become. You didn’t always want to go and often got frustrated about how hard chess is to learn, but now that you have the basics down, it is awesome to see your growth. You’ve been teaching Carter too since we’ve been home and I can’t believe how good he is for a 4/5 year old. I hope you keep playing because it’s such good brain work.
Lately, the past several weeks, we’ve been doing a Me Break in the middle of our day. It’s a time for us all to take a break from each other and play and spend time alone. You are by far the best at this break. You are perfectly content playing and spending time by yourself. You’ll take the Rescue Bots or pens and a coloring book or cars and just enjoy. You really enjoy that time. I love how well you play, in general whether it’s with your brothers or alone. Never lose that imagination.  

I feel like I study you. You don't fit any molds and just when I think I learn a pattern with you or have figured something out, you surprise me. For example, when it comes to fears, you don't care at all to be dangling very high up in a tree on a branch about to fall at any second, but you are terrified of amusement park rides with hills. After going to Disney World and seeing your apprehension on rides, I was surprised to see you hanging, barely, way up in a tree without a single thought. You never get startled and aren't scared of any bug or insect, but cannot be anywhere near a conversation about the Titanic. I talked to you about the shipwreck one night thinking you'd be so curious about learning more and now I can't even mention the word. I am always discovering new things about you and I really love that.
You continue to be the best brother- thoughtful, kind, loyal, inclusive. I can’t think of better words to describe a good and true friend and that is how you treat your brothers. Things aren’t always peachy and harmonious, especially right now when we are all so close, but I am very happy and proud of the relationship you all are building with each other and I have you, especially, to thank for that. You have a special individual relationship with each of your brothers- special games and play you do with each of them. You spread your love and time around so that each of them feels like an important playmate of yours. I think that’s really something. In moments of conflict, you are still learning how to handle your anger appropriately. This year has been a rough one for that for you with many, many frustrating moments between you and your parents. I think you enjoy the drama and spectacle of throwing a big tantrum rather than actually having lagging skills that don’t allow you to cope just yet. 
I didn’t ask for this extra time with you at home and I am not always grateful to have it ;) However, I do understand how precious this is- having my first grader at home with me for three extra months I never would have had. I look forward to starting your EIGHTH year at home, together, to grow and learn and spend quality bonding time. I look forward to hopefully reminiscing about this time in such a positive way- all the family meals, the board games, the book reading, the play and play and play. I am so lucky to know you and be on the receiving end of your love. I’m so proud of the kid you are. 

Happy Birthday my JuJu Bean. 
All my love,
-Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny