COVID-19 Home Life: Weeks 7-9

These last few weeks, things have been... well... predictable.

The fact that I am using the word predictable to describe a situation that is anything but is a little wild to me.

It is now predictable to my children that we will stay home.
It is now predictable that Josh will work upstairs.
It is now predictable that our car will sit in the garage for days without being driven.
It is now predictable that my mom will come watch them play from outside the fence and my children won't hug her.
It is now predictable that they will only see their teachers and friends on a computer screen.
It is predictable that if the weather is nice, we will go outside. If the weather isn't, mom will protest and refuse because one shouldn't be shivering outside in May.
It is even predictable what people might be having for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as we keep rotating similar meals around and around.

Remote learning was in full swing and we knew what to expect and when to expect it. I know about how long things are going to take, what will be met with some push back, where to challenge, where to modify. Nolan and Judah were getting used to the online platform, the fact that they would have math days and reading/writing days, they knew how we would explore the content together and how they would show what they know. I've told both their teachers this, but I certainly feel they're working so hard to make lemons out of lemonade.

If these weeks have taught me anything, it's to solidify the fact that my children are not online-only, crises remote-teaching learners. I use all those words because I know true online learning doesn't look like this. I know regular teaching doesn't look like this. My boys thrive in the human connection, camaraderie, and safety that can only be found within the walls of a classroom with a teacher who builds an empowered, trusting, and relationship-driven community with his/her students. There is NO substitute for this. I will say that again for the people in the back: There.Is.No.Substitute.For.This.

I need to shake things up and re-inspire and re-motivate the troops around here, but it's really hard! The phrase "I don't have time for that" takes on new meaning in our current predicament. I am fully engaged with the kids all day and then when they go to bed, I don't have it in me to be looking up scavenger hunts or indoor field day activities or creating something. I'm tired.

Here are some things that, thankfully, were not predictable these last few weeks:
  • Celebrating all #hundtboysx4 birthdays: we got surprise visits, treats, drive-bys, cards, phone calls, videos, etc that made all our hearts smile. Each birthday boy got to pick a special dinner and dessert for the day. We got some new outside toys (like a basketball hoops) that has really helped bring some new life to our predictable playtime. 
  • We still had #hundtboysx4 family birthday part on its scheduled day, but instead of the traditional party, our families ate cake in their cars and got surprised by the fire department driving by blasting its lights and horns. 
  • My sister Laura and her boyfriend drove down for the 'party' from Grand Rapids and my sister Rachel shocked us all by coming all the way from Traverse city and surprising us all.
  • Trampoline blunders: in the last couple of weeks I have likely broken my toe and Nolan has knocked a baby tooth out of place and it's current stuck pushing out way forward from where it should be. 
  • Going to well check-ups: All boys got to go in their first public indoor building since March 13th when we went to the pediatrician for their yearly check ups. I could tell everyone was craving attention from someone other than Mom or Dad because they talked the pediatrician's ear off. This was also their first time wearing masks outside the house.  
  • Trying new TV shows or watching new movies.
  • This weekend the Kona Ice truck drove through our neighborhood. It was a beautiful day and so nice to see so many faces even from afar. 
  • I've been seriously not impressed by the weather around here lately, but on the days that it's been nice, we've been trying to be creative and do lunch picnics and reading books on the trampoline and going to walk around places like Michigan State's campus.


I can tell we all need some inspiration and innovation to push through this monotonous time. We are in a bit of a rut with this routine that I never thought would be routine and need to shake things up. How are you keeping things fresh? Exciting?

Hoping you are all finding some unpredictability during this time. Sending love <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear School Board Members

Bikini Body Mommy and Diastasis Recti

Drugs AREN'T funny